-
Jury rejects claim LAPD officer was killed over sexual assault report - 13 mins ago
-
King Charles expresses ‘deepest concern’ after brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest - 24 mins ago
-
New Budapest Airport Terminal Foundation Laying Is Ahead of Schedule - 31 mins ago
-
Underdog Promo Code FOXSPORTS: Play $5 Get $75 in Bonus Entries - 50 mins ago
-
39-year-old man faces cold case murder charge in L.A. Juvenile Court - 52 mins ago
-
The Secret Language of Ladies: Budapest Celebrates the Art of Hand Fans - about 1 hour ago
-
Billionaires Spielberg, Zuckerberg look outside of California amid wealth-tax proposal - 2 hours ago
-
Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ to hold first meeting, with key U.S. allies absent - 2 hours ago
-
Hungary Is Heading to the Sea with New Port in Trieste - 2 hours ago
-
King Charles concerned more Andrew Jeffrey Epstein accusations coming: experts - 2 hours ago
Norwalk agrees to repeal homeless shelter ban, AG says
The city of Norwalk will repeal a local law passed last year that banned homeless shelters as part of a settlement that will end a state lawsuit, Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta said Friday.
Last fall, the state sued the southeastern Los Angeles County community alleging that Norwalk’s policy violated anti-discrimination, fair housing and numerous other state laws. Norwalk leaders had argued its shelter ban, which also blocked homeless housing developments, laundromats, payday lenders and other businesses that predominantly served the poor, was a necessary response to broken promises from other agencies to assist with the city’s homeless population.
“The Norwalk City Council’s failure to reverse this ban without a lawsuit, despite knowing it is unlawful, is inexcusable,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement. “No community should turn its back on its residents in need — especially while there are people in your community sleeping on the streets.”
The settlement, which needs judicial approval before taking effect, calls for Norwalk to repeal its ban at an upcoming City Council meeting, Bonta said in a release. In addition, the city will dedicate $250,000 toward the development of new affordable housing, formally acknowledge that the ban harmed fair housing efforts and accept increased state monitoring of its housing policies.
Bonta said that the legal action shows the state will not back down when local leaders attempt to block homeless housing.
“We are more than willing to work with any city or county that wants to do its part to solve our housing crisis,” Bonta said. “By that same token, if any city or county wants to test our resolve, today’s settlement is your answer.”
Norwalk stood out compared to other communities that have found themselves in the state’s crosshairs in recent years. Many cities that have fought state housing policies, such as Beverly Hills and Coronado, are predominantly wealthy and white. By contrast, Norwalk is a Latino-majority, working- and middle-class city. Elected leaders in the city of 100,000 have said they’ve borne a disproportionate burden of addressing homelessness in the region.
Though the ban led to the cancellation of a planned shelter in Norwalk, city leaders contended that the policy largely was a negotiating tactic to ensure that the state and other agencies heard their concerns. Last year, the city said that even though the shelter ban remained on its books, it would not be enforced.
In recent months, the city has negotiated with county and state officials to accept additional homeless housing vouchers and on opening a mental health center for homeless residents on the site of state-run hospital, Norwalk spokesperson Levy Sun said in a statement in response to the settlement.
“This moratorium was about protecting the safety of Norwalk residents, housed and unhoused alike, while ensuring that new investments are responsibly planned,” Sun said. “We are committed to deliberate collaboration with county and state partners to ensure every program here is accountable, well-run and sustainable for the long term.”
Source link











