-
Stephen Colbert’s James Talarico Video Breaks 3-Year-Old YouTube Record - 18 mins ago
-
Serbian Medieval Christian Heritage at the Museum of Ethnography - 20 mins ago
-
Mom shot preteen daughter and then herself before cheerleading tournament in Las Vegas, police say - 22 mins ago
-
Fourth alleged rape victim testifies against son of Norway’s future queen: “He just wouldn’t stop” - 30 mins ago
-
Ágnes Ullmann to be Immortalized on the Eiffel Tower in Historic Tribute - 53 mins ago
-
Lake Tahoe Issued Heavy Snow Warning Amid Search for Missing Skiers - 58 mins ago
-
Ukraine to boycott Winter Paralympics over Russians competing under their flag - about 1 hour ago
-
RFK Jr shares shirtless workout video with Kid Rock on social media - about 1 hour ago
-
Ryanair Planning a Major Expansion in Hungary - about 1 hour ago
-
2026 NFL Draft No. 2 Pick Odds: Arvell Reese Favored, Ty Simpson Longshot - about 1 hour ago
U.S. launches large-scale strikes on ISIS targets across Syria
The U.S. has carried out what it called “large-scale strikes” against ISIS in Syria, U.S. Central Command announced Saturday afternoon.
The strikes, conducted at around 12:30 p.m. ET, were part of Operation Hawkeye Strike, which the Pentagon said was ordered by President Donald Trump on Dec. 19 in response to an ISIS ambush near Palmyra on Dec. 13. That attack killed two U.S. soldiers and a U.S. civilian interpreter, U.S. officials said.
The military in December launched strikes against Islamic State group infrastructure and weapons.
CENTCOM spokesperson Capt. Tim Hawkins told NBC News that more than 35 targets were struck in Saturday’s operation. More than 90 precision munitions were fired, and more than 20 aircraft were involved.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth posted about the strikes on X, saying, “We will never forget, and never relent.”
The military said the strikes targeted ISIS “as part of our ongoing commitment to root out Islamic terrorism against our warfighters, prevent future attacks, and protect American and partner forces in the region.”
“Our message remains strong: if you harm our warfighters, we will find you and kill you anywhere in the world, no matter how hard you try to evade justice,” CENTCOM’s statement said.
Three other U.S. personnel were wounded in the December ambush, prompting Trump to vow retaliation, calling it “an ISIS attack against the U.S.” The Defense Department said the incident happened during a counterterrorism engagement.
Trump announced strikes on Syria the week after, saying the U.S. was “inflicting very serious retaliation.” NBC News previously reported, per two U.S. officials, that the strikes were expected to last several weeks or up to a month.
Hegseth said in December that the operation was not “the beginning of a war — it is a declaration of vengeance.”
Source link












