Share

ICE Responds After Detainee Dies in Custody: What We Know


U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) responded after reports of a detainee dying in federal custody in Indiana, saying on Wednesday in part that the cause of his death is “under investigation.”

Newsweek reached out to Republican Indiana Governor Mike Braun’s office via email for comment.

Why It Matters

The death marks the first reported fatality of an ICE detainee at the Miami Correctional Facility since the state prison began housing immigrants under an agreement with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), according to the Indianapolis Star.

The death has since drawn scrutiny from Indiana lawmakers and renewed questions about detention conditions.

What To Know

Lorth Sim, a 59-year-old Cambodian national held by ICE, was found unresponsive in his cell at Indiana’s Miami Correctional Facility on Monday and was pronounced dead at 7:10 a.m. that day, ICE said in a press release on Wednesday.

ICE said staff discovered Sim in his cell and that lifesaving measures by facility personnel and emergency medical services were unsuccessful. The agency said the cause of his death is under investigation and that required notifications were made to DHS’ Office of Inspector General, ICE’s Office of Professional Responsibility and the Cambodian consulate.

ICE said that Sim was arrested for disorderly conduct in 1989, then indecent exposure in 1996 and larceny in 2005. A federal judge ordered his deportation to Cambodia in 2006, ICE added. Sim came back into contact with ICE last year at the Boston ICE office lobby and he was arrested, placed “in ICE custody pursuant to a warrant of removal,” the release said.

What People Are Saying

Andre Carson, Democratic representative from Indiana, on X Wednesday: “Reports indicate a man died in ICE custody at Indiana’s Miami Correctional Facility. Lorth Sim’s family deserves answers, and so do the American people. ICE has shown they have a disregard for human life. We need to know exactly what caused Lorth’s death. I’m demanding DHS give us answers, now.”

DHS Secretary Kristi Noem, in an August press release announcing the partnership with Indiana: “COMING SOON to Indiana: The Speedway Slammer. Today, we’re announcing a new partnership with the state of Indiana to expand detention bed space by 1,000 beds. Thanks to Governor Braun for his partnership to help remove the worst of the worst out of our country. If you are in America illegally, you could find yourself in Indiana’s Speedway Slammer. Avoid arrest and self deport now using the CBP Home App.”

This is a developing story that will be updated with additional information.



Source link