-
Eric Dixon’s second-half scoring barrage leads Villanova past USC, into semifinals - 25 mins ago
-
MEPs: EP’s grand coalition with backing from Tisza and DK voted to continue the war - 32 mins ago
-
Donald Trump Issues Update on Elon Musk Leaving DOGE - 38 mins ago
-
‘Battlestar Galactica’ star calls show’s AI warning more relevant than ever - 48 mins ago
-
Government launches info campaign on upcoming referendum on Ukraine’s EU admission - about 1 hour ago
-
Villanova Wildcats vs. USC Trojans The Crown Highlights | FOX College Hoops - about 1 hour ago
-
Ford Is Now Offering Buyers Its Employee Pricing Amid Trump Tariffs - about 1 hour ago
-
PM’s Political Director: Strong families are key to a strong country - 2 hours ago
-
Saquon Barkley goes on ‘Hot Ones’ and proves he’s human after all - 2 hours ago
-
South Korean court upholds President Yoon’s impeachment over martial law order - 2 hours ago
Trump Admin Pulling Legal Status From Migrants in New Action
The Department of Homeland Security announced a new action on Friday, revoking a Biden administration age parole program for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Venezuelans.
Why It Matters
Since his January 20 inauguration, President Donald Trump has implemented sweeping change, mainly through executive orders, and prioritized immigration.
Over the weekend, Trump implemented the Alien Enemies Act of 1798, a wartime law that grants the commander-in-chief the authority to detain or deport non-citizens. The implementation was blocked in federal court and has sparked a contentious legal back and forth this week.
What To Know
In a notice posted to the Federal Registrar on Friday, Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem announced the termination of the Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela (CHNV) parole program.
The notice says that the parole program period is 30 days after the date of publication. “Parolees without a lawful basis to remain in the United States following this termination of the CHNV parole programs must depart the United States before their parole termination date,” the notice says.
In an email to Newsweek Friday evening, a DHS official said: “The previous administration lied to America. They allowed more than half a million loosely vetted aliens from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela and their immediate family members to enter the United States through these disastrous parole programs; granted them opportunities to compete for American jobs and undercut American workers; forced career civil servants to promote the programs even when fraud was identified; and then blamed Republicans in Congress for the chaos that ensued and the crime that followed.”
The statement continued, “The termination of the CHNV parole programs, and the termination of parole for those who exploited it, is a return to common-sense policies, a return to public safety, and a return to America First.”
The humanitarian program was previously paused last August under former President Joe Biden out of “an abundance of caution” to look into allegations of fraudulent applications.
This is a developing story that will be updated with additional information.
Source link