Alba Iulia (Gyulafehérvár, Románia)
A heated political debate erupted at Thursday’s meeting of the Local Council of Alba Iulia (Gyulafehérvár) over the non-repayable grant provided by the Hungarian government for the new permanent exhibition at the Princely Palace in Gyulafehérvár.
The support will be used to implement the project entitled “PRINCIPATUS: Transylvania, from the Golden Age to Decline,” which will see two new, modern exhibition spaces created in the palace. The exhibition presents the history of the 17th-century Principality of Transylvania through the reigns of Gábor Bethlen, György Rákóczi I, György Rákóczi II, and Mihály Apafi, showing the rise and gradual decline of the principality.
The amount of nearly 28,450 euros, equivalent to 11 million forints, was awarded by the Bethlen Gábor Fund Management Ltd.
As the report confirmed by ALBA24.ro, the technical details of the project were presented by Robert Roman, director of the institution. He said that the Princely Palace applied directly for the grant announced by the Bethlen Gábor Fund, operating similarly to the Romanian Cultural Fund (AFCN).
Visitors can discover some of the decisive decades of the 17th-century Principality of Transylvania with the help of the modern exhibition technology.
The grant is fully non-refundable and does not require co-financing. Robert Roman said that they had previously applied twice to the AFCN, but did not receive support, thus they turned to the Hungarian institution.
After Robert Roman, the director of the institution, presented the project, tempers flared among the local council’s sovereignist camp. Mircea Trifu, an AUR councilor, stated that this would lead to Hungary reclaiming Transylvania.
Mayor Gabriel Pleșa emphasized that the real danger comes from the East and that the party represented by Mircea Trifu supports the East. He also stated that the project in question is exclusively cultural in nature.
Bogdan Lazăr, a local councilor from the Liberal Party (PNL), also criticized Mircea Trifu and asked him what he thought about the incident in which George Simion cut a cake shaped like Greenland and decorated with the U.S. flag.
Finally, Voicu Paul, former Social Democratic (PSD) deputy mayor, calmed the situation by stating that all sources of funding should be accepted and that history should be viewed for what it is.
After the debate, the local councilors voted on the resolution.
Related article
Szeklers in Romania Are Fed Up with Increased Local Taxes
In Târgu Secuiesc, a demonstration against the tax increases that have been in effect since the beginning of the year took place Monday evening.Continue reading
Via maszol.ro; Featured image: Pixabay
The post Governmental Support of the Princely Palace in Romania Ignites Political Tension appeared first on Hungary Today.
Source link